Comfort Tech Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning for Home and Business
Serving the Hudson Valley since 2006

Call: 845-246-9489

FAQs

If you have questions, we have answers.

If you cannot find the answer or have a question that is not listed, please call 845-246-9489 or contact us.

1. Is it important to have regular maintenance on my home heating and/or air conditioning system?

2. What is the difference between a furnace and a boiler?

3. What is a zoning system for HVAC?

4. When should I consider replacing my current heating and cooling system?

5. How often should I change my filter?

6. SEER? AFUE? How is the efficiency of heating and cooling equipment measured?

1. Yes. Annual maintenance can extend the life of your equipment and also reduce your utility costs. Plus, many costly emergency repairs can be avoided with regular maintenance. Routine maintenance is offered as part of our service plans.

2. A furnace uses air to heat a home or building and a boiler uses water. A furnace uses the flame from the burner to heat air, which is then distributed throughout your home. A boiler uses the flame to heat water that is then sent through your home via pipes to radiators, or is sent to a fan coil unit that heats air which is then distributed via ductwork.

3. Zoning divides your home into individual areas (zones) and allows your heating and cooling system to only heat or cool areas that you designate. Maybe you have a home office that needs extra air conditioning or heating during the day, but not at night. Or you only use the the room over the garage when guests visit. Whatever your needs, zoning offers you precise control of your house temperature for you and each family member.

4. You may want to consider replacing your heating or air conditioning system if is it over 15 years old, inefficient, or in need of costly repairs. Today’s systems are up to 50% more energy efficient than those HVAC systems manufactured less than 10 years ago. Plus, if you have recently moved into a home where the equipment was not properly maintained, the wear and tear may have compromised its efficiency. Plus, talk to your service technician about the pay-back period. A new unit may provide a quick return on investment due to lower utility bills from the more efficient system.

5. Clean filters help to keep your heating and cooling system operating at peak efficiency and improves the quaility of your indoor air. It is important to change filters regularly to ensure proper air flow. In general, it is recommended to change your filter every season. However, you should check the filters every month to determine if they need to be cleaned or replaced.

6. Efficiency ratings indicated how efficiently the heating or cooling unit uses fuel (natural gas, propane, oil, or electricity).

SEER – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio: This ratio tells you how much cooling your system will deliver per dollar spent on electricity. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the system will be and the less it will cost to operate over its lifetime.

AFUE – Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency: This measurement is a percentage of how much energy is being converted to heat. For example, an AFUE of 90 means that 90% of the fuel is being used to warm your home, while the other 10% excapes as exhaust with the combustion gases.

HSPF – Heating Seasonal Performance Factor: THis is a measure of the heating efficiency of a heat pump. The higher the HSPF number, the more efficiently the heat pumps heats your home. The cooling efficiency of a heat pump is measured by its SEER.

MERV – Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value: A filter rating system relating to the size of the holes in the filter that allow air to pass through. The higher the MERV rating, the smaller the holes and the higher the efficiency in capturing contaminants.